Thursday, September 3, 2009

Maybe I should work at Wal-Mart

I had the most fabulous shopping experience ever at Wal-Mart today.

I went to pick up some eyeliner, and this sweet Southern woman stopped me and said "Can I ask your opinion on something?"

I nodded and smiled, and she began with "I just noticed that you're wearing blush, and my daughter has recently told me that I should wear blush..."

Now, let's stop right there. First of all, I wasn't wearing blush. My cheeks were apparently flushed due to walking briskly around the store and also feeling a bit feverish lately. But it was too cute, and I didn't want to make her feel bad or self-conscious by correcting her, so I didn't. I just nodded and pretended I was wearing blush.

But she continues with these comments. 

"I was thinking something natural. Yours looks so natural (she had no idea, haha) and pretty and I don't want anything too bold. I was looking at these other colors and I think they're a little too dark."

I told her the one in her hand looked like it would work well, and to put it on lightly. 

She then asked me a direct question. "Yeah, I'm thinking I like this pink one. Is that pretty much what you have on?"

I felt so bad saying yes, but I didn't want to hurt this poor lady's feelings. Plus, I was in too deep at this point. So... I said yes. She thanked me for helping her, and I told her she looked fine the way she was, haha. I'm surprised I pulled this off, because I'm a horrible liar. I felt so bad, but I didn't feel the need to repent since me lying was better than embarassing the poor lady and making her feel awkward. At least, this is what I'm currently telling myself. 

So then, I am walking toward the shampoo aisle to get some hair gel, and I get stopped by someone else, this time an adorable old black man who reminded me of Morgan Freeman. 

He explained he needed another set of eyes and that he was looking for ibuprofen. He had been looking for a liquid version, but after much searching, I could only find the pill version of it. He then explained that his 16 year old daughter was home due to nausea and chills, and that the pharmacy had told him to pick up some ibuprofen and pepto bismol. He looked lost when referring to the pepto bismol, so I told him to wait right there while I happily went a few aisles down to get it for him. I then suggested he get some Sprite to help her with the nausea and asked if he had crackers at home. He said he did. I told him to give her the medicine and that if she wasn't better in a few hours, to take her to the doctor due to swine flu going around. He thanked me.

Well, miraculously, my next stop was right over where the drinks were. I heard a little voice (I believe it was God) telling me "Why don't you go over there and pick up a two liter of Sprite and bring it to the man?" Somehow, even though that store was fairly big, I knew I was going to run into the man. So, I picked up the two liter and headed to the section where he originally was. I ran into him about a minute later, in a completely different aisle. He lit up when he saw that I had brought the Sprite to him. I explained that I had been near the drinks anyway, and told him I hoped his daughter felt better. 

It made my heart swell being able to help these people today, and it is honestly the most useful I have felt in a while. God is so good.

So, maybe I just need to work at Wal-Mart... =) 

On the flipside, I have had a consistent headache for three days, and I have been exhausted for three days.

So, I am going to take a pregnancy test in the morning. I happen to have one left from the dollar tree.

I don't expect it to be positive, and I'm going to try my hardest not to get my hopes up. 

But, if it's negative, I may need to go to the doctor. It feels like I'm coming down with something. I am usually never this exhausted during consecutive days.

This is the part that I hate, because I know a part of me will be dissapointed and frustrated if it's negative. 

But I just have to know. 

2 comments:

  1. It's actually always been my secret dream to work at Wal-Mart! Tyson thinks I'm a nutcase. I think seeing the Natalie Portman movie where she lives in a Wal-Mart (is it called "Where the Heart Is"...? Not sure...hmm) made me want to. Anyway, Tyson says he thinks I'm romanticizing Wal-Mart, and I probably am, but I am with ya! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i've heard walmart is Awful to its employees actually. i think Tyson's right--its romanticized kind of like Waitressing is romanticized. and being a writer is romanticized. etc.
    good luck with the test, i hope you have positive results!

    ReplyDelete