Thursday, August 20, 2009

Falling into pieces


Today was not a good day.

I don't know why hearing certain people or people in certain situations are pregnant, bothers me more than others in different situations. 

Maybe it has nothing to do with the people, and has more to do with how my day has gone. 

I had a crazy hectic day (well, crazy hectic week) and I feel like I can't ever get my head above water, water which distinctly resembles mounds of paperwork. Couple that with having a two hour meeting at work entitled as file audits, but carefully disguised. It's really "let's make Ashley cry and make her feel like she can't do anything right. Let's tell Ashley that she's not detailed enough and that if she wants to be a GOOD case worker, she will try everything she can to have no life and instead worry worry worry about taking all the staples out of documents and making sure her file is perfect." 

My job is stressful on a number of levels. First, you have the simple fact that you can have up to 18 cases, all of which you are completely 100% responsible for. Even at 11 cases, I am sinking fast. Then, any case you have that is a problem case, you should automatically count those as more than one case, because the trouble that they give you is at least two cases worth of work. I have at least three serious trouble cases. Oh, and by the way, these are cases in which often, my supervisor can honestly say "I have never had to deal with that before." Oh joy. Now, I have learned that all of your kids that are in the Juvenile Justice population are going to give you trouble. Many a time I have thought that a child I got on my caseload would be "no trouble", only to be sitting in a meeting with all of his teachers a couple of weeks later. So the trouble I'm talking about is out of the ordinary stuff; freakishly weird stuff; it's adding stress to an already stressful situation. I am also a state employee. I am responsible for so much more than typical social workers. This is a government job, therefore we are subject to random audits, scrutiny, etc. Even if you aren't audited regularly, it still puts stress on you with the possibility of someone auditing you. And that stress is so much more than the stress of simply losing your job. It's someone looking at you and saying "what in the heck were you thinking? You have not helped this child at all! This child will have more of a screwed up life because of you!" (Not that this will ever happen, but doesn't the possibility of that happening make you shudder and go into overdrive? I know I do). I'm not known as being the most responsible person. I seriously probably had sippy cups until I was 7 due to the fact that I could never hold a drink without spilling it. And yet now, all of a sudden, because I'm graduated and have a degree, I'm supposed to be able to make all these decisions and be responsible for human beings? This is so much more than just being a parent. It's like being a parent after the child has been out of your life for 17 years. That's scary. Especially when you have bigger people looking down at you and monitoring what decisions you make.

Finally, this job is stressful and hard because sometimes, the things I hear from the children really make me want to fall apart. I have heard stories of children watching family members bleed to death on the sidewalk after being pumped full of bullets. It's just all too much. I heard one of these stories today, and I kept asking God "why, oh why do you let your children suffer so? Why are they allowed to experience such pain and violence before they're even old enough to graduate?" 

I will admit, I actually got a bit angry with God today. I just don't understand Him. I think what makes me most angry is that, in situations like that, you cannot tell someone "that was God's plan." That would be absurd. So, how can I believe it was?

And at the end of a day like today, to find out someone is pregnant after a ridiculousy short amount of time...well, it's just a little too much. I have this issue where, if I know the couple has been trying for a long time, I am overjoyed for them. But, instead, if it's more of a "wow, we didn't expect to get pregnant; we weren't even trying. We haven't even struggled over getting pregnant," thing...I can't help but be bitter. And angry. And hurt. And I again struggle with believing this is God's plan.

I feel so cheated out of everything. It depresses me that I have to "prep" my body to grow life. It is so much of an ego blow. It makes me feel like there's something wrong with me (which, let's face it, there is) and makes me feel like less of a woman. I struggle with really feeling horrible about myself, thinking that one of the most natural things a woman is designed to do, I struggle with doing it. Sometimes I wonder why the women who desire the most, with everything in them, to conceive....seem to have the most difficult time? 

I cannot tell you when I started fantasizing about my future children. I'm sure I was a child myself. I would always watch my baby cousins and was known to have a "special touch" with most of them. I have read time and time again on facebook, and even babycenter, women complaining about getting little to no sleep, morning sickness, or even simply the chaos of having children. I am sure those who are struggling with getting pregnant can agree...doesn't that just make you want to slap the person in the face? What I wouldn't give to experience morning sickness, lack of sleep, and chaos, all at once! And just think,  I haven't even been struggling with conceiving for as long as a lot of women with infertility issues. I don't know where they get their strength from. When Wesley and I were trying very hard to conceive, with every negative pregnancy test, I would literally crumple up and sob. It was such a difficult time. I know that if and when my cycles get regulated, I'm going to be right back there again, and I'm scared of how painful it's going to be. 

What I do know is I am going to try my very hardest to never utter a complaint when I'm pregnant. I want to rejoice and be content and cherish it. I want to remember what it took to get me to that point. Most of all, I want my child to know how wanted it was. How its mother would pray and cry and ache, waiting for her arms to be filled with its little body. I am often reminded of that scene in 'Facing the Giants'... tell me, what is impossible with God? 

I am working through feelings of bitterness and hurt. I never expected to have issues with getting pregnant, although it was always a major fear of mine. I thought to myself "wouldn't it be just my luck, me, the person who cannot see a baby without going up and touching its little fingers, would have problems with fertility." It seems like the epitome of irony. It feels cruel, as if I am being cheated out of something already very dear to my heart. 

5 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you're going through this right now Ashley. =( That's got to be really tough. I think I may know which pregnancy you are talking about. It's so funny...we all struggle with this same exact feeling, but it manifests itself in different ways. As single girls, we see every single person get engaged before us and all we want is that ring, that commitment from that guy. We see everybody graduate and we want that diploma or degree. I really struggled with feelings like that. It's so crazy that, no matter what stage of life you're in, you'll always be dealing with this sort of "keeping up with the Joneses" that unfortunately humans fall prey to. I can't imagine how hard it must be, as someone with PCOS, to have to deal with news of new pregnancies. It must be how I felt after hearing about the zillionth Union engagement. Initially, a roll of the eyes, but then tears alone in my room, wondering what was wrong with me. Now I struggle with it in other areas like careers and goals. I think that's why God is probably having to constantly remind me that "godliness with contentment is great gain." We knew a couple at one of my dad's old churches that struggled and struggled with infertility until, finally, they decided to start the adoption process. In the process of adopting, they conceived and she got pregnant with a little girl. They ended up canceling the adoption (which I never really thought was a kind choice, since they'd already started the process of adopting a specific child...but that's another story for another day) and having their own baby. So, even though the part about canceling the adoption was completely ridiculous and cruel, I think it's neat that, when you think you've exhausted every option, God surprises you. I wonder if God waited to get her pregnant until after they'd begun the adoption process because there was a special little girl or boy that he wanted with them...they might never know now. =/ But it's amazing to see how God uses seemingly bad circumstances ALL THE TIME...EVERY DAY...even right now, possibly. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh i love you dear ashley-- and i am so sorry that this bad day has overcome you so terribly. i know you know this, but i struggle with bitterness as well-- for different reasons, but it is still the same eat your heart out rotting feeling inside you. i am so sorry that PCOS has been chosen as your battle. as you said, of all battles for you to face, why this one? and i ache for you. because it is hard to trust in God's plan when it seems like it is going somewhere we don't want to go. it seems like there is never a week that goes by now that doesn't contain one day where i am angry at God. at what seems to be His plan. and can i be honest? it's EXHAUSTING being angry with God. it's an argument we can't win. and it all boils down to a lack of faith (and i am speaking to myself here). when i'm angry with God i am saying that i don't trust Him, but more than that, that i Know Better than Him. and i think that it's okay to be angry with God sometimes-- to say 'God i just don't understand WHY'. but it's the bitterness that gets you. i know since the bitterness entered me, i have never been the same. and i miss the days before it settled in, before i had to fight it off every day.

    i love you dear. and i am so blessed to be your friend. and i pray for you all the time, that God would honor your desire to raise godly children. to have your own child. and i believe He will make a way.

    ps: i've started reading Psalms and WOW! it has encouraged me so much in my private battles, i would definitely suggest reading at least the first 5 chapters. they are fantastic! i love david!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ((hugs)) You WILL be a mother. You WILL be a mother. God has a perfect little baby for you. I know He does. My heart aches for my fellow cysters who struggle so hard to get pregnant... I still have fear on whether or not my PCOS will allow me to stay pregnant. Just know that God does have a baby for you... we just don't understand His ways sometimes. But we have to trust in Him. For our own sanity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. our timing isn't always God's timing...everyone's on a different path in life, and God gives us what we need and what's good for us when its time. i'm praying for you as you go through this.
    love,
    Renee

    ReplyDelete
  5. Girl, I know these feelings so well. You are a normal infertility sufferer, if there is such a thing.
    The thing I have grappled with the most during my nearly 6 years of infertility is God's sovereignty. If He is in control of all things, and I believe He is, then He is purposefully allowing me to endure infertility. What I read in the New Testament is that God uses suffering to conform us into the image of Christ. Suffering is the chosen mode for making us like our Suffering Servant. So, in a sense, God is purposefully using infertility in your life (for right now, anyway) to make you like His Son.

    I know, I know, I KNOW that is a tough thing to swallow, but it is the thing I desperately cling to when I feel threatened by bitterness and despair. Cling to Christ as though your life depended on it...because it does. He can and will uphold you through this sorrow. Hold on to Him who is near to the brokenhearted and crushed in spirit. He works in your life in ways that are for your good and for His glory. Even as I sit here on yet another Cycle Day 1, I can say that in some ways I feel blessed to be counted worthy to endure this suffering because God HAS used it (hopefully!) to make me more like Jesus, and He has used it to teach me to encourage other women walking the same path.

    I know it still tastes of bitterness and despair right now...and for as long as this is your lot, you will have seasons of such. For that reason, I know exactly how to pray for you, friend.

    Be blessed today...
    -glenna-

    ReplyDelete