Tuesday, August 11, 2009

On the sunnyside...

Breakfast today was pretty great. I actually had time to sit down, and I had:

1 slice of healthy life white bread topped with cinnamon sugar and butter
4 pieces of Oscar Mayer bacon

Crazy as it seems, it lasted me until 12. Of course, I was in a meeting from 9:15 to 10:30, so it distracted me somewhat, but still.

Lunch was one cup of Chunky vegetable beef soup. My stomach began to turn just as I was finishing it, but I consider it an accomplishment that I finished it! Then I had strawberry jello for dessert.

Dinner becomes the hardest meal of the day.
I have NO idea what to cook.
Our staple meals are usually:
Hamburger helper
mac n cheese
spaghetti... (do you see a trend here?)
lasagna
skillet meals that have pasta and chicken
chicken strips and french fries

Wow, looking at that list, no wonder I had issues with carbs. It doesn't help that I have a stressful/busy/crazy job which leaves me with little energy for inventive meals.

So, when you take all of that away...and you couple that with the fact that I am SO SICK of skinless chicken breast... you wonder what else is there? Especially when you grocery shopped for the month before deciding to go low carb.

So, my question to you is:

what is your favorite thing to make that is healthy, low carb, little to no prep, and tasty?

Please put the recipe in your comment, or at least give me some ideas. I am by no means a culinary expert (as I've mentioned before) so simple and easy is the best for me, haha.

[Please and thank you. I know the girls that read this are great cooks, so I'm excited to learn new things!]


On another weird and perhaps scary note, I've noticed today that my kidneys are...aching. (At least, I believe they are my kidneys due to looking at a human map online). It's by no means excruciating. It's a very dull ache, and not constant. I searched a little, and found that there is at least one thread on the web that notes a PCOS girl having slightly aching kidneys after upping her Metformin dosage.
Um... that's a little, scary?

The woman said that once she decreased her dosage and increased it again, she was fine. But I really really really really just want to get through this week, because then I will be on the official recommended dosage.

This is further proof that I don't want to be on this medicine for my whole life. There's no telling what it could end up doing to my kidneys. It appears that there's been no link to Metformin and kidney problems...yet. But it's one of those things that could come out years from now.

In other news, one of my good guy friends and his wife became pregnant several months ago. They found out recently that it's a girl.

Upon finding this out yesterday, I had my first heartsick emotions in a while.

I know that when I do finally become pregnant, I will be happy with whatever gender my precious child is. But, Wesley and I would really really really love to have a girl first.
I struggle being scared (and full of self-pity) that, because my life has been full of dissapointments (pathetic, right? this is so not true...but that is the self-pity part of this), that when we do get past this infertile period, I will try and try for a girl, and will end up with a house of like, four boys.

This is when I get scared.
I mean, seriously. All I can think about is 'Home Improvement', and what Jill had to deal with having three boys in the home (basically four, because her husband was like a big kid). What a nightmare!

I did read an article recently that talked about a woman who has tried so long to have a girl, and kept having boys, and the small heartache she went through. But then someone told her something encouraging: God has entrusted you to raise Godly men. He has given you so many boys because he knows you will raise them as Godly men and leaders.

I thought that was a happy little spin to a potentially depressing situation.

I think once I become pregnant, these thoughts will go on the back burner, and I will be content with whatever.

But oh, wouldn't it be lovely to have an adorable little girl with curly dark brown hair and gorgeous big brown eyes? I can already see her in my head, actually. She's beautiful.

One step at a time. :)

5 comments:

  1. oh dear! i know just what you mean about being afraid of having all boys! ah! i want at least one girl (and preferably first, like you said, so i won't have to worry later!). girls are so dramatic, but i think they're more fun later in life. and super cute when they're little! :)

    okay so here is one recipe we like that is fairy easy. i will try to find more for you!!

    What you need:
    2 Chicken Breasts
    Balsamic Vinegar
    Lemon Juice
    1 tomato
    Mozzerella Cheese

    Preheat oven to 350. Put chicken in a glass baking dish and cover with balsamic vinegar and lemon juice. Bake at 350 for 40 minutes.

    About 5 minutes before the chicken is done, cover with mozzerella cheese and put a tomato slice on top! Then stick it back in the oven and let the cheese melt.

    *i usually serve this with some fresh asparagus or broccoli. :)

    ** be sure to check and make sure the chicken is done before you eat it!! ovens vary in how hot they are, so you may have to leave it in for a shorter/longer time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A quick meal ideas!!

    Grab a bag of frozen grilled chicken strips ... Tyson has a GREAT one. Tons of flavor, already cooked, all you do it thaw. Gets me out of the boneless skinless poo.
    So I take those and put them in corn tortillas with broccoli slaw for tacos ... chop them up and sautee with mushrooms and a can of artichokes ... just on top o a salad with evoo and bal. vin. ... They are super versatile.

    Congratulations on all your hard work :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, first of all, become best friends with RachaelRay.com and AllRecipes.com. ;) Be experimental. In my house, I try to always make new things every week. Sometimes we have to go cheap and do spaghetti, etc... but I always try to have at LEAST one night where we have something completely new and different. Most weeks, it's 3 nights. I don't know how you feel about fish, but there are tons of different kinds of fish out there that taste great if prepared correctly... and if CLEANED properly, they should not smell fishy in the least bit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love to buy marinades to spice up grilled chicken. One of our favorites is grilled chicken marinated in herb & garlic dressing (we buy ours at Aldi, but you can buy it at any grocery store). I grill the chicken breasts on the George Foreman grill first until they look cooked all the way through, but not brown yet. Then I put them in a deep pan and cover them in the marinade and stick it in the oven for about 10-15 minutes while I boil corn on the cob. A great way to make corn on the cob healthier is to skip serving it with butter at the table...I add about a tablespoonful of butter to the water we boil the corn in, along with salt, and that seasons it well enough for us. Fresh corn and chicken tastes great and is great for you! I'll try to think up some more recipes if I can...

    ReplyDelete
  5. cool blog! i think its awesome that you're writing about this.

    Bryan and I want to have boys and girls...i have a feeling that we're going to have all girls though...but i guess we'll just have to wait and see!

    as far as recipes go...do you like fish? i love fish. they have these premarinated fish fillets (not the breaded kind, the ones that you bake or grill) that are pretty cheap(i can't remember the brand name, but they're in the "fish" section), and they're so quick and easy, just pop them in the oven. when i want to do something healthy and quick, i cook two of those with some veggies, yum!

    ReplyDelete