Sunday, August 30, 2009

So, how's that diet going?

I figured I'd better explain before I'm asked.

Well...it hasn't been going so well.
I have been limiting my portions still, but I haven't been paying as much attention about WHAT I eat. I almost wish that my curse of being sick all the time from Metformin would come back. After all, the sickness would only happen when I ate something that probably wasn't the greatest for me.

I've been doing fairly well with Breakfast. I usually eat an apple and it will last me for the majority of the morning. I'm also trying to at least drink 32 oz of water a day. But, when it comes to lunch and dinner...I continue to have issues with what to make and eat. We have eaten out quite a bit in the last two weeks.

I have yo-yo'd from 10 pounds to 12 pounds to 13 pounds lost. I haven't seen the 13 pounds lost mark in about a week...so, in a way, I'm maintaining the 10 pounds I lost, but I'm not making any headway. This is also due to the fact that I haven't been exercising.

This week is a new week. I kick-started my exercising again on Saturday by taking an hour and a half walk at Pinson mounds, complete with going up and down the stairs to the largest mound, sprinting at times (we had our puggles with us) and walking briskly.

So, on Monday, I really need to go to the gym. I'm going to have to make myself some way or another. You would think that if I wanted a baby so badly, I would be working my tail off (literally) to lose as much of this weight as possible.

I guess I have experienced extreme frustration because I'm not seeing immediate results. Although the Metformin is supposed to eventually bring back my natural cycle...it hasn't yet. This is month 5 without a period. And I am just so dang frustrated. My ob/gyn told me that we can't pursue other methods of fertility until I have had one year of normal cycles. What she meant is basically all of the cycles I have not had a period have been a waste, and cannot be counted toward a full year of trying to conceive. So, basically, I can only account for December to March. Four months. So, once I DO get a regular cycle, if I am still having significant problems, they won't be addressed until another eight months down the line.

Of course, she also told me we would talk about Clomid* next time I come in on September 21st. I don't want the run around. I am going to all but demand they give Clomid, along with something to kick start my period. The longer I go without a cycle, the worse it's going to be. The longer I go, the more likely it will be a cycle that will put me out of work for at least a day. And I can't really afford that, because I don't have enough sick days accumulated due to having to use so many when I first got on Metformin. I have to accumulate a total of 6 sick days by October 31st, and I still have another sick day I'm going to need to take due to my appointment on September 21st. I have been apprehensive in the past about taking something to kick start my period. I've wanted to regulate it naturally. But pretty soon, it will mean I've only had a period for half of the year...which is just not healthy or good anyway.

*For those of you that don't know, Clomid is a medication that is taken to help me ovulate. Obviously, because I am not having periods, I am not ovulating. My body is having issues ovulating like a normal female. If I don't ovulate, there is no possible chance I can become pregnant.
Now, although I would be thrilled that my possibility of pregnancy would be increased through taking Clomid, I am NOT so thrilled about the side effects, which include:
breast pain, bloating, hot flashes (hot flashes...seriously? seriously?...) enlargement of ovaries (which can be painful), nausea, and headache. From what I came across on webmd.com, enlargement of the ovaries is the most common side effect.

Oh, and did I mention Clomid can possibly increase the likelihood of multiples? Not that I mind that at all. Once I become pregnant, I won't care how many are in my belly...just as long as they're healthy! But it is something to think about and wonder how the situation would be handled.

So anyway, this week is a new week. I'm going to start exercising again and start caring about what I eat. PLEASE keep me accountable. I need it.

3 comments:

  1. How can I help? I'd like to help keep you accountable. I want you to get healthy and ready to be a mom! I think I've decided I'm going to issue you a "Challenge of the Week." The beauty part is, I will complete the challenge also (so you feel like you have a friend along with you), and then we can chat about how the Challenge went later in the week! We'll start small at first, and then the Challenges will get more intense! I really need to get strong, so these Challenges will help me too! :)

    Check your e-mail for your first Challenge of the Week!!!

    (I am taking your request to be kept accountable VERY seriously... ;) Hehe...so no backing out!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i will keep you accountable as well!! and you can help me! caleb and i are starting to run-- 3 days a week is my goal. so! how much are you wanting to excersize? you let me know and i'll bug the heck out of you. haha. like H. said, i want to help you have some babies!!! ;)

    ps. I LOVE PINSON MOUNDS! it is my absolute favorite state park. so many great memories. and i know just which 'biggest mound' you are talking of! that's a huge accomplishment to have run up part of it! it's insane!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um. Okay, why is your doctor making you have a year of cycles before Clomid again?? This doesn't make sense to me. Why won't she give you some Prometrium to just induce AF and let you get on with your life? Is your weight really that big of an issue. This is really bothering me... I think you need a 2nd opinion.

    About the Clomid, your 1st round will hurt, I won't lie. Your ovaries will be like, "What the heck is going on?!" But after that, it gets easier. The hot flashes aren't very fun, but managable. I hope you seek a 2nd opinion... I don't think your OB really gets it.

    ReplyDelete