Thursday, August 6, 2009

I've lost a human head plus 2 pounds!

I stole this from http://musingsofmrsmount.blogspot.com.

1 pound = a Guinea Pig
1.5 pounds = a dozen Krispy Kreme glazed donuts
2 pounds = a rack of baby back ribs
3 pounds = an average human brain
4 pounds = an ostrich egg
5 pounds = a Chihuahua
6 pounds = a human’s skin
7.5 pounds = an average newborn
8 pounds = a human head
10 pounds= chemical additives an American consumes each year
11 pounds = an average housecat
12 pounds = a Bald Eagle
15 pounds = 10 dozen large eggs
16 pounds = a sperm whale’s brain
20 pounds = an automobile tire
23 pounds = amount of pizza an average American eats in a year
24 pounds = a 3-gallon tub of super premium ice cream
25 pounds = an average 2 year old
30 pounds = amount of cheese an average American eats in a year
33 pounds = a cinder block
36 pounds = a mid-size microwave
40 pounds = a 5-gallon bottle of water or an average human leg
44 pounds = an elephant’s heart
50 pounds = a small bale of hay
55 pounds = a 5000 BTU air conditioner
60 pounds = an elephant’s penis (yep, weights more than his heart!)
66 pounds = fats and oils an average American eats in a year
70 pounds = an Irish Setter
77 pounds = a gold brick
80 pounds = the World’s Largest Ball of Tape
90 pounds = a newborn calf
100 pounds = a 2 month old horse
111 pounds = red meat an average American eats in a year
117 pounds = an average fashion model (and she’s 5’11”)
118 pounds = the complete Encyclopedia Britannica
120 pounds = amount of trash you throw away in a month
130 pounds = a newborn giraffe
138 pounds = potatoes an average American eats in a year
140 pounds = refined sugar an average American eats in a year
144 pounds = an average adult woman (and she’s 5’4”)
150 pounds = the complete Oxford English Dictionary
187 pounds = an average adult man
200 pounds = 2 Bloodhounds
235 pounds = Arnold Schwarzenegger
300 pounds = an average football lineman
400 pounds = a Welsh pony


Haha, what fun stuff. And to think, at the end of all of this, I will have hopefully lost a small bale of hay.

Now, this is where it gets interesting...

I have to admit, I hit a brick wall yesterday.
I don't know what happened, but suddenly, the idea of "healthy" food literally made me sick to my stomach.

I've been ingesting oatmeal, chicken salad, tuna salad, salad, salad, salad for a while now. When I went to make my lunch yesterday morning, I literally gagged at the thought of making another chicken salad concoction (even talking about it now is making me queasy). It doesn't help that this medicine has now transferred from running through my system too quickly (I know, I know, tmi, right?) to making me quite nauseous most of the time. It's hard to catch a break.

So...I have to confess it...
I had a McDouble and a small fry yesterday...and BOY, was it GOOD. However, afterward, my body quickly rejected it. I had another off day today, but luckily, the quantity wasn't a lot, so there's a good chance I still managed to stay within my calorie intake.

I talked to my good friend Jerica on the phone today. She had some very exciting news to tell me (she's pregnant!) and we got to talking about my diagnosis of PCOS and the linking of it to diet. She and her husband have been eating right for a while now, and she actually works at a health food store. They also have their own farm and are selling meats, poultry, etc from it. They believe that most illnesses and conditions can be cured by a change in diet, and I have to agree. I expressed to her that I don't want to stay on this medication for the rest of my life, and I would like to be cured of PCOS. She stated she has researched PCOS and strongly believes that if one just changes their diet, besides losing weight, it will cause the PCOS symptoms to go away.

Long story short, she's going to really try to help me eat right. She told me "we are going to try to get you off this medicine as soon as possible." Boy, did that make me feel EMPOWERED. What's really interesting is what her definition of eating right is. It's definitely unconventional.

72 g of carbs a day. All the saturated fat I want, because since it sustains longer, I will not eat as much of it as I would if I were eating carbs. 1 piece of fruit a day. Focus on veggies and meats. Lots of water and raw milk. No fruit juices. She swears by this, and managed to lose 12 pounds in two weeks by making these dietary adjustments.

Now, I know she probably has a higher metabolism than me, but still...that's a lot of weight to not be starving myself on granola and yogurt. I can have BACON! and STEAK! and EGGS! etc. (of course, I must incorporate yogurts and stuff as well, and not go overboard on the saturated fats). The approach is that if you eat your meats first, you will fill up faster and not eat as much. I'm sure there's more technical reasons, but that's the way I can explain it.

She stated the biggest misconception is that fat in food makes you fat. She says this is just not true, and it's actually the carbs that are making Americans fat. It makes sense, if you ask me, due to how my ob/gyn explained how the body breaks down carbs versus other things. I'm currently supposed to be on a low carb, low sugar diet anyway. So! I am excited about this new chapter in my life!

She has given me a couple of ideas to start off with as far as foods and such.

Also, I think Wesley and I will soon become raw milk drinkers.
It's true.

I've been hearing from many different people for a while now that raw milk is best for you, and that the store-bought milk can actually be harmful. There are so very many health benefits to raw milk. I told Jerica I was a little scared to start, because I was afraid I would get sick. She explained that they currently sell raw milk and haven't had one complaint from first time drinkers. However, she did state that many people have had problems once going from raw milk back to store-bought milk...which really leads me to believe there's so many things in store-bought milk that shouldn't be in there.

So, I'm going to track down a farm and buy from them...illegally, haha. They can only sell it as "pet milk", because it's illegal to sell it for humans to consume. How silly is that? Black marker milk! Supposedly, there's a farm in Jackson. I'm really actually pretty excited about this!

I will let you know how it goes.

Exercising has been placed on the back burner this week, because my current dosage of Metform (1500 mg) has really hit me hard. I have no energy it seems, so it's hard to get to the gym. I'm hoping it gets better.

No aunt flo at this point yet. I have never been so ready for my period in my life. Getting my period means I'm one step closer to conceiving.

I feel like I'm 11 again, hanging on the possibility of menses so I can consider myself a "woman."

Oh dear.

1 comment:

  1. I just saw the movie, "Julie & Julia" today, which is apparently the first major motion picture ever to be based on a blog, and one of the main characters, Julie Powell, has a themed blog and I immediately thought of you. :D

    ReplyDelete