Monday, August 3, 2009

Fruit and veggie intake...

I don't know if you can see that, but it's the recommended daily intake of fruits and vegetables per day. I didn't know there was such a thing. (I know about the food pyramid of course, but I didn't realize there was a table that broke it down into cups!)

Less active women in our age range (19-30):

less active: 1.5 cups fruit, 2.5 cups veggies
moderately active: 2 cups fruit; 3 cups veggies
active: 2 cups fruit, 3 cups veggies

I thought fruit was free game for me in these steps toward healthy living. That appears to not be so.

1 cup of grapes= 16 grapes=104 cals. Now, that wouldn't be that bad, except that this one itsy bitsy measly cup also has... oh, 27 grams of carbs! On the Atkins diet, the recommended intake the first two weeks is 20 grams a day. So, if I were on the Atkins diet, then I would have already spent ALL of my carbs, and then some, on 16 grapes.

I'm trying my hardest to shy away from carbs. It's so hard to believe that one cup of grapes has more carbs in it than 4 oz of yogurt.

The good thing I've begun to notice is, now that I'm staying away from caffeinated drinks, sweets, etc., I'm starting to notice I have a lower tolerance for it. In fact, when Wesley and I went shopping yesterday, I had to buy oj with 50% less sugar because when I try to drink it in the morning, it's too sweet for me!

I'm praising God about this. I just hope I don't fall back into bad habits like before.

I am just two pounds away from losing 10 pounds!!! YAY!!!




1 comment:

  1. Wow! Congrats on the 10 pounds! :D That's fantastic...I feel like I need to see pictures of your weight loss...did I ever tell you about the blog "Losin' It"? A Union alum writes it and it's really an encouraging blog...she writes about weight loss as well as marriage, books, and other things. It's a good read. Anyway, if I haven't sent you the link, let me know and I will!

    ReplyDelete