Sunday, August 9, 2009

I just made an omelette, for the first time...ever.

Pretty impressive, wouldn't you say? I added ground beef to it and put salsa on top of it. Yum.

I learned via Julia Child. Word to the wise: when she says put it on high heat, it's probably better to put it on just above Medium heat, or else put your butter in the pan immediately after it begins to get hot. I had the pan hot for awhile, and so when I put the butter in the pan, it created quite a smoky mess.

Here's a not so secret secret: my culinary skills are lacking.
I only know a few staple items, and I have NO idea how to cook anything from scratch.
I grew up with a mother that had a few staple items, but mostly used frozen entrees and such. There are two things my mother didn't really teach me how to do:

cook and apply makeup

Have you ever looked at those girls that have gorgeous makeup on, and wondered "how in the heck do they do that?" Like, the whole layering of the eyeshadow. You know what I'm talking about: where there's one shade on the very top of the brow, and another shade on the lid? I can't remember how many times I've tried this trick, but it just doesn't work! It might just be my eyelids, though. Maybe they're not big enough.

Anyway, back to cooking... I also of course made hamburgers yesterday for close to the first time. It didn't start off so well.

Isn't it true that if the kitchen is smoky, you're probably doing something wrong?
Wesley swears that it's just due to our little kitchen having no ventilation, but I'm starting to wonder if he was simply being chivalrous.

I have a feeling I have many smoke-billowed kitchens in the future, especially now that I'm doing this whole low carb thing.

Maybe I'd better invest in a fire extinguisher. You know. Just in case.

2 comments:

  1. I'm really impressed you made an omelet...that's something I've never been able to master...the flipping action on a frying pan. I always opt for getting a casserole dish and putting the omelet mixture in there, then baking it to an omelet-like quiche. I need to know your secret.

    I was definitely in a cooking mood after watching "Julie & Julia." I came home and got out my cookbooks and bought a bunch of "cooking ingredients" like baking soda and baking powder and things like that that I'd never tried before. I then made brownies from scratch, which I thought was going to be really hard and not worth the effort, but was actually fairly easy and only about 10 minutes longer than brownies from a box...plus, I was able to make the brownies with whole wheat flour since I was making them from scratch. We should have a Julie & Julia weekend sometime after the movie comes out on DVD where we watch the movie, then learn new recipes...you, me, Sarah, and Renee? We'll see. Haha. I'm full of too many ideas. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. the only things i can make from scratch are bad for you baked goods =(
    i tried making this healthy spinach and pea soup the other day, and i did everything like it said but it tasted Disgusting!! i couldn't force myself to eat it. i'm trying out a few new recipes this week though, all healthy southbeach recipes, so maybe i'll have better luck with them!

    ReplyDelete